- 3 Cups - All-Purpose Flour
- ½ Cup - Sugar
- 2½ Tsps - Baking Powder
- ½ Tsp - Baking Soda
- ¾ Tsp - Salt
- ¾ Cup - Unsalted Butter, firm, cut into small pieces
- ¾ Cup - Currants
- 1 Tsp - Grated Orange Peel
- 1 Cup - Buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp - Milk
- 2 Cups - Confectioner’s Sugar
- Warm Water (as needed)
- 1 Tsp - Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C) and lightly grease baking sheets.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until thoroughly blended.
- Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Stir in the currants and grated orange peel.
- Make a well in the center of the butter-flour mixture and add the buttermilk all at once. Stir the mixture with a fork until the dough cleans the sides of the bowl.
- With your hands, gather the dough into a ball and turn it out onto a lightly floured board.
- Roll or pat the dough into a 1/2-inch-thick circle.
- Using a 2 to 3-inch round cutter, cut the dough into individual scones.
- Place the scones 1 1/2 inches apart on the lightly greased baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, confectioner’s sugar, and vanilla extract to make a glaze. Adjust the consistency with warm water if needed.
- Brush the tops of the scones with the glaze.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 12 minutes or until the tops are light brown.
- Serve the buttermilk scones warm.